The overexposed phrase “if you fail to plan, you plan to fail” applies pretty well to a group camping trip, especially if you’re going with kids. A checklist will make your life much easier, and thankfully, Eastern Mountain Sports has provided an awesome infographic and the perfect checklist to print (see below)!
Getting a checklist together is actually fun if you start prepping early, it builds anticipation and ensures you have a successful and fun camping trip. There’s nothing worse than forgetting a crucial item like medications and chargers, but people who rush often do exactly that. When you give yourself time to relax, you reduce the risk of forgetting something in the frenzy of leaving.
To be thorough, you should make a custom checklist as well, as each camping group is different. You’ll also want to break the list into categories, to ensure you get everything you could possibly need.
When making a list, be sure to consider the following:
- Car: be sure you have all of the equipment in case of a flat tire or a breakdown for any reason. If you’re traveling far, be sure to have a plan B and plenty of battery life to call for help if necessary.
- First Aid: not one that’s been sitting in your closet for a year, get a fresh one that remains unopened unless there’s an emergency.
- Activities: if you’re skiing, rafting, fishing, hiking or what have you.. you’ll want to make sure you have all of the proper gear
- Food: Be sure to keep the grocery list down, but it still should be an adequate supply of food for at least two days
- Clothing: When you think you have enough packed, add another outfit; trust us, you won’t be sorry.
- Sleeping Comfort: Bring along your favorite pillow or blanket; a small piece from home can actually boost your mood and remind you what you’re missing.